Thursday, December 12, 2013

Active Meditation

I went to a mediation class this evening at the World of Meditation.  The technique that Shanti taught tonight was a meditative dance and whirling.  I did not expect an active meditation when I walked there.  I thought that meditation was mostly about mind only with body stillness.  Not true, there are many techniques.  One I learned about this evening, was a Sufi practice.   I wouldn't have thought that I could whirl, but I did.  I whirled my ass off.  Whirling is spinning around in circles quickly for a long time to music.  It was a cool experience.  Everyone in the room was spinning in their own meditative circles, and they became an animated background as I spun in my own awareness.  It was quite beautiful.


To avoid becoming dizzy you focus on your hand outstretched above your head, and your other arm is pointed toward the ground.  Staring into my palm as the world spun around me, brought me to a joyful and blissful place.  I could only smile and focus on what was happening right at that moment.  No thoughts of stress, anxiety or sadness entered my mind.  Only my hand in front of me, the music in my ears and the others spinning around the room too.  I feel so relaxed and calm now.  I feel the release. Being in the moment is so important.


I met a girl in my class who also moved from Pittsburgh to Seattle.  She started her westward journey ten years before me.  Such a small world full of kindred spirits and kindness.  I have met a lot of Pennsylvania peeps in Seattle.  :-)
My soul is fed.  I felt the presence of God moving through me, through a new technique.  There are many paths that lead to the same place, and I really enjoyed this one.  I want to learn more about meditation and relaxation.  It is so important to have an outlet for the stress of life.  All the crap that we let into our heads everyday requires release.  The negativity that forces it's way into our day must find it's way back out.  This is a way to let go of it and to spend quality time finding what makes you feel good, "I can't wipe the smile off my face" good.  I whirled the shit-storm of life away today.  Huzzah!  


There is a life-force within your soul, seek that life.
There is a gem in the mountain of your body, seek that
mine. 
O traveler, if you are in search of That
Don't look outside, look inside yourself and seek That. -Rumi

No comments: