Saturday, February 28, 2009

my grandpa. . .


You are the one that everyone always leaned on,
The only man in a family full of women
You are quiet and calm
You taught me how to drive and you didn’t panic when I almost put us in a ditch (more than once).
You faced many obstacles in your life; you became a widower very young.
You loved unconditionally, and never gave up.
You showed your love in so many ways
I remember good things about you Grandpa. Lots of good things. . .
Witty and sweet, always giving good hugs
You had hard candy in your pockets to share at all times.
You stayed through my entire band and choir concerts all through school. Whether it was torture or not, you would hug me proudly afterwards.
You were there to see me graduate from High School. You were there in spirit when I graduated from college. I know you wanted to be there.
You made sure you were there to check out the "new guy" I started dating for Thanksgiving a few years ago. I am glad that you approved of him.
You gave your dogs funny names like Timex the watchdog, and you had a pet monkey a long time ago. I am sure that you have lots of secrets that no one really knows.
You made it on the 20 mile bike ride, like a man half your age, I kept asking you if you were ready to turn around, but you wanted to finish to the end. That was a good day I spent with you.
You helped with the dishes at the Senior Center and took people their meals. You never complained about helping in the kitchen, you just worked hard and got it done. How wonderful that you got to see your daughter all the time and she was able to cook for you. I know it meant so much to my mom.
You got to hold generations of babies and live to be a great grandpa to lots of children.
You will forever to be in my heart and I know that you will always be smiling at me with your ornery grin.
I hope it was a good life for you, Grandpa. I hope that you lived without regrets. You are so loved.
I will miss you.
I am sorry I didn't get to sing "Happy Birthday" to you today.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

You are so lucky to have had such a rockin', cool grandpa in your life for so many years. When I read this I thought of that picture you showed me of your grandpa doing airplane with you when you were a baby. Take care, hon!